Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My Introduction

I have not done this before, but in recent months I have come to realize that people need to share their stories and that we can all learn from each other. I am a single mom, twice by adoption. The first domestically, almost 16 years ago (a newborn), and the second internationally from Russia in 2009, (an older child, 12 years old). In each case I believe God led me to these children, but only because he has a sense of humor.

On the occasion of my first adoption, I filled a notebook with the things I would never say to my child. To date, the only thing that remains uncrossed out is that "There are starving children in China who would give a lot to have that food"! Over time I have learned several important things about parenting - (1) There is no manual to answer my philisophical questions about the universe - or my children (2) My mothers's voice really does come out of my mouth in times of stress (3) the unending joy my children have brought is matched only by the stresses of having two adolescent, hormonal girls in the house and (4) Erma Bombeck was always right.

It takes a sense of humor, dedication, an infinite amount of love, trust and a welcoming spirit to be a parent. It probably takes more than that, but maybe I have not learned that stuff yet. Parenting has been an education that I was not expecting. In my innocence lo those many years ago, I had no idea what I was doing or what I was headed for, so I blithely went on about my business raising my little princess. Did I listen when my mother told me that when she got to be a big princess I would be sorry? Of course not! My little girl was perfect!

Well, she IS perfect. In fact, both girls are perfect. Sure we have our times when I am the meanest mother on the earth, (generally when someone is being grounded), and of course there is the inevitable "You are so embarrassing" if I speak to another teenager in their presence! But THEN - there are those times when we all gather in the sunroom, cover ourselves with blankets and talk ourselves silly. There is sharing our favorite show together - family night - family dinner - gosh what a reward! Before Allie, there was just two of us - what a change this has been to add a third! Sibling rivalry - you have nothing on us!. These girls were made sisters by law, not nature, and at ages that are difficult to deal with. But when I hear them in the pool or on the trampoline, laughing and sharing fun times - when the older one asks to take her little sister to the movies, I know that God, in addition to having a good laugh, is smiling down on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment